M&A Analysis: Walmart + Alert Innovation October 2022
In October 2022, Walmart announced its intention to acquire Alert Innovation, a warehouse automation vendor targeting grocery applications with specific focus on Micro Fulfilment Centres (MFC).
MFCs are relatively young as a concept that was increasingly discussed in the mid 2010's with startups focusing on this starting to emerge after 2015.
The MFC concept moved fulfilment of online orders, especially online grocery orders, closer to consumers - versus fulfilling from Centralised Fulfilment Centres (CFC). In theory, this would save on high Last Mile delivery costs and make online grocery profitable.
Recent macro-economic developments, such as higher petrol prices and inflation may have given the MFC an additional boost.
This M&A Analysis provides STIQs view on:
- Why Walmart acquired Alert Innovation
- Potential for up and downstream integration
- Other MFC vendors
- Amazon and the MFC
- What next for the MFC sector
- Potential for wider M&A in the sector
- A sample of vendors in the sector
Companies mentioned in this report includes: Addverb, Albertsons, Alert Innovation, Attabotics, AutoStore, Conductix Wampfler, Dematic, Exotec, Fabric, Instacart, Instock, Knapp, Noyes Technologies, Ocado Solutions, Swisslog, Takeoff Technologies, TGW, Urbx, Walmart and others
THIS REPORT IS A FREE DOWNLOAD COURTESY OF CONDUCTIX WAMPFLER
Other free market reports from STIQ you may be interested in:
- 2022 eGrocery Infrastructure report
- Online grocery order fulfilment technologies, in-store technologies for inventory accuracy, hybrid manual/automated fulfilment solutions
- 2021 eGrocery Infrastructure report
- Online grocery order fulfilment technologies, in-store robots, delivery robots
- 2022 Goods to Person Solutions report
- Warehouse automation technologies for General Merchandise fulfilment
- 2022 Autonomous Delivery Vehicles report
- Focus on Micro, Last and Middle Mile autonomous logistics & autonomous delivery vehicles and robots